Thursday 5 March 2015

St Dogmaels - Cemais head- St Dogmaels

I had recently mentioned to "The Navigator" that I had seen an episode of "Weatherman Walking" where Derek had undertaken a walk in St Dogmaels. I knew the river side area well as we often canoe down the Afon Teifi either to egress at St Dogmaels or paddle past it. However I had not visited the town and its Abbey. Lo and behold this was to be our destination for our Monday walk.

Route




We parked up and our first stop was the impressive ruins of the Abbey.

Impressive yew tree

Abbey ruins



Mill pond near visitor centre

St Dogmaels

I could not persuade "The Navigator" to have a cake at the information centre/cafe and so we walked on and up the scenic Cwm Degwel and then by way of minor roads to the coast at Pwllygranant.

Cardigan Island
It was on our descent to the coast we met a Belgium tourist walking up from the coast who had somehow missed the path on his route to Newport. We managed to ensure he walked back down to the coast path and continue his journey.

Rock formation

Looking south towards Newport.
We turned north heading for Cemaes Head.



The weather was blue sky but cold and on the coast extremely windy, thankfully at our backs. In places we estimated at some 100 feet the wind was  blowing the sea up the cliffs and onto the path.

Once we turned the corner at Cemaes head we were sheltered from the wind and headed back with views of the Teifi estuary.

Another view of Cardigan Island

Teifi estuary

Well it was just after St Davids Day

Teifi Estuary

Feeding time

St Dogmaels



1 comment:

  1. St. Dogmaels was only on day 2 of my walk round Wales - Thursday 21st. April 2011.

    Here's what I said:
    At 3:30 I arrived at the YHA hostel approaching St Dogmaels. The warden would not appear until 5:00pm but I decided to stay. I plugged in my iPhone to charge and made tea. On seeing the many food compartments in use I deduced there was a fair crowd staying, and anticipated a bun fight for use of the kitchen. I was getting bad vibes and I decided to leave.
    Halfway between Poppit Sands and St Dogmaels I booked into the Webley Hotel. Here I was able to do my laundry, and I ate well including some delicious scallops.
    -------------------

    If I'd been with you on your walk there would have been no problem in stopping for a cake and a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete